5 Secrets No One Tells You About Buying a Home
What you need to know before buying (that no one ever tells you):
- Buy the house you can afford at a monthly payment you are comfortable with, not the maximum the mortgage lender thinks you can afford.
- Don’t dismiss school districts - even if you don’t have kids. Buying in a sought-after district can be worthwhile for resale.
- It’s okay if you don’t have a 20% down payment. Just talk with a reputable lender to see which loans are right for you.
- Don’t be afraid to walk. Overwhelming inspection? You’re the buyer. You’re in charge. And you can walk away.
- Buying costs more than your mortgage. You’ll be your own landlord now, so you’ve got to factor repair costs, utilities, furniture, etc. into your monthly and yearly budget. Another reason to revisit number one above.
I’m always here to give it to you straight, talk through anything that might be bothering you or just be a friendly ear through the home buying process. Share to a friend who needs to see this, or save this post for later.