Biggest Mistakes Homeowners Make When Moving
We all make mistakes. But with a little extra planning and know-how, you can sidestep the following pitfalls the next time selling is on the mind:
- Mistake #1: Listing your home too soon - either before you're emotionally ready or before your home is ready to be viewed. I always say you don’t get a second chance at a first impression.
- Mistake #2: Putting your belongings in storage for months and months without thinking about them (and unnecessarily racking up monthly storage fees). Go through things first to purge unnecessary items before paying to store things you’ll likely get rid of later on.
- Mistake #3: Expecting new appliances, furniture, or home decor to be delivered overnight. While pandemic delays are a thing of the past, it can take weeks or months to schedule delivery, so plan accordingly.
- Mistake #4: Misunderstanding the layout of your new home and whether your current or new furniture will fit. (A tape measure is your best friend here!)
- Mistake #5: Packing too late. On average, it takes 3-5 full days to pack up a three-bedroom house. Triple or quadruple that number if you only want to pack in the evening hours. Slow and steady wins the packing race.
Want to sell without snags? I’d love to help make that happen.